Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Veganomicon's Acorn Squash and Black Bean Empanadas

This recipe comes from a wonderful resource on cooking, with instructions for mincing, dicing, broiling and more. All vegan recipes cover everything you could want, for any schedule. Certainly a must for those who are new to cooking or who wish to improve their skills.
On page 55, there is a recipe for Acorn Squash and Black Bean Empanadas. I adapted it to fit what I wanted to fill the emapanda with, but I will include the original recipe below.

Pastry:
2 cups all purpose flour (I used whole-wheat pastry flour because we don't have white)
1/4 cup corn meal
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup non-hydrogenated vegan shortening (I used one by Spectrum)
1/2-3/4 VERY cold water (I stuck mine in the freezer as soon as I knew I was going to make these)
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar

Filling:
1 acorn squash (about 1/2 pounds)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 average-size red onion (I used white/yellow)
2 jalapeños, sliced thinly (I don't like spice, so I used green chili peppers)
2 teaspoons crush coriander seeds
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
about 2 tablesppons water
1 cup cook black beqans, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons fresh  lime or lemon juice
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup

I didn't add the cumin or crushed coriander. Instead, I added a bit of cayenne pepper, paprika, tumeric and I chopped up some cauliflower and red pepper for the filling.

Preheat oven to 400 Fahrenheit after you are done with the dough part; you will need the oven heated
for the squash.

Prepare the pastry: Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder in large mixing bowl. Add the shortening by the teaspoon or so. Use two knives held together to cut shortening in.Add about 3 teaspoons, then cut in. Repeat until you have used 1/2 cup.  You want a crumbly looking dough. Add apple cider vinegar to 1/2 cup water and add in about 1/3 of the mixture, then stir dough with fork. Repeat until the mixture is used. Add in up to 1/4 cup more water, if needed. Make a ball with the dough and roll out to about 8 x 5 inch rectagle, covering with parchment. Place in the refridgerator for at least an hour.

Cut the squash and place it face down on a baking sheet and follow directions on the sticker. It should bake for 30-40 minutes. While this is cooking, sauté onion and peppers and then add in corianderand garlic after a few minutes. After another minute, add in sumin, salt and the water. Add in the squash after you cut it into 3/4 inch chunks (skin removed). Let cook for around 5 minutes before adding in the cup of black beans. Lastly, add in lemon juice and syrup. Turn off the heat and prepare the dough.

Grease a baking sheet and get the dough from the refridgerator.  The authors (Isa Candra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero) say to roll the dough out to a 9 x 12 rectangle, trim edges, and cut 3 inch squares, taking each square and rolling it until it is about 6 x 6. Chris and I were hungry so I just made two large empanadas with some dough left over. Then, if you follow the recipe instructions, you should fill the 6 inch square with two tablespoons of the filling, fold into a triangle and press the edges together. Then bake all empanadas for 25-30 minutes. The recipe makes 12 empanadas that are meant for an appetizer. Like Chris and I, you could simply make a bigger square for a full meal. While time consuming, Chris and I were both pleased with the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your thoughts and I will be glad to answer any questions!